Our bed has been looking a little naked ever since we bought our king-sized mattress. I have been wanting to make a headboard for a while to give our bed a more finished look. Although, I was originally thinking of making an upholstered headboard, I decided to go in a different direction.
Here is our bed before:
(these pictures are from our house in McKinney, because I forgot to take "before" pictures)
Here are some projects and tutorials that I got the inspiration from.
I bought four 1x4x14 pine (I'm pretty sure it was pine) boards and had the guys at Home Depot cut them down into eight 6 feet pieces. Each board cost $3.34, so I spent less than $15 for lumber, which was much less than I had anticipated. After getting boards, stain, protective finish, 2-inch drywall screws and a level, I was ready to get started.
I laid the boards on a few trash bags and used a hammer, nail and screwdriver to beat up the boards a little bit.
After giving them a good beating, it was time to stain. I did one coat, and ended up liking the way it looked so left it at that. The directions on the back of the stain said to let it dry for 24 hours.
After the stain had dried, I put on a coat of the protective finish. As it was drying I measured and marked the center of the wall where I was installing the boards. Once they were completely dry, I grabbed the first board and marked the center. I screwed it directly into the wall where I previously marked. Then I used the level to make sure it was straight and put a screw on each of the ends. Once the bottom board was secure, I set the next board on top of it and screwed each end into the wall. I continued that process until I had all seven boards where I wanted them.
After living with it for a week, I have decided that I love it. It looks different in person, and I think it actually makes our bed look smaller. The hardest part of this projects was being patient enough to wait on the stain to dry!