This is how our kitchen window looked when first saw our house.
The first thing I did was remove the blinds to let some natural light in. And, then I saw this.
I bought some fabric and tension rods from Wal-Mart and followed this tutorial. Here's how it turned out (with our dirty dishes strategically cropped out).
I like them but they kind of feel circus-y. I looked for fabric for a couple of weeks hoping I would fall in love with some either at Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart (the only two places I know in Paris that have fabric), but I settled on this navy and white striped fabric. Hopefully I can go to Joann's or another fabric store soon to see if they have something I like better. I'm thinking something light and airy. Or maybe these will grow on me. The good thing is this project only took 30 minutes so it will be easy to re-do, and I can use this fabric somewhere else!